Student Organization Leadership Consultants
Let SOLC Help Find the Answers!
What is SOLC?
What does SOLC do?
How do I get in touch with SOLC?
How do I request a workshop or retreat with SOLC?
THANKS TO URI'S STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS FOR PARTNERING
WITH SOLC THIS YEAR!
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sankofa Christian Ministry
WHAT IS SOLC?
- The Student Organization Leadership Consultants (SOLC) are a group of URI students who have received advanced training in leadership & group development by the staff of the Center for Student Leadership Development (CSLD). SOLC works to promote and use peer leadership to help URI's student groups to effectively achieve their goals.
- SOLC is unique! Some members choose just to be a part of the SOLC organization (an affiliate of URI's Student Senate) and some are leadership minors who take the SOLC class (HDF 413) through the CSLD to receive advanced training. Many students choose to be a part of both.
- Any student at URI can join SOLC to gain greater skills and confidence in event planning, organizational development, outdoor leadership, facilitation, public speaking, and leading events with diverse groups of people.
- SOLC works with 10-15 student groups each year and received recognition at the 2007 Rainville Leadership Awards for their Outstanding Team Contribution to URI. Let SOLC help your group find the answers!
WHAT SOLC DOES:
- Plans and facilitates individually designed workshops and retreats.
- Mentors, counsels, and consults with student groups, organizations, and teams.
- Teaches relevant concepts and skills in order to improve organization effectiveness. Typical workshop topics include: team work, mission/vision work, exploring values, clarifying roles, goal setting, transition planning, communication, group development/dynamics, and conflict resolution.
- Presents at the monthly Senate President's meetings to provide relevant information about creating effective and efficient organizations.
HOW DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH SOLC?
See us at the Senate President's meeting each month, stop by an SOLC meeting or visit the CSLD Office, Room #210 in the Memorial Union, to let us know how we can help.
HOW DO I REQUEST A WORKSHOP OR RETREAT WITH SOLC?
- URI groups can be helped with anything from a long meeting (2-3 hours) to a two-day, overnight retreat - it depends on the group and what the members want to accomplish.
- All arrangements are made by and paid for by the SOLC as a result of the support from URI's Student Senate. Services are free to Senate recognized groups. Non-recognized groups can receive SOLC services, but are responsible for 50% of the cost.
- It takes at least 3 weeks to plan a retreat, and our nights and weekends fill up quickly, so please contact us as early as you can. Spring dates are typically filled by October 1st, and fall dates are typically filled by April 1st.
- Once you have contacted us, a team of SOLC members will be formed and they will work individually with a representative from your group in order to identify the desired services duirng an intake interview. Together, we will identify the goals and objectives to be incorporated in the workshop or retreat and an appropriate timeline.
- Each group has its own specific needs and desired areas of improvement and we will do our best to design programs that are suitable for the specific group. As a result, each organization will have a unique experience when working with the Student Organization Leadership Consultants.
- We encourage organization advisors to participate in the planning process, as well as to attend, scheduled retreats. Groups requesting overnight retreats MUST be accompanied by a staff person (advisor, graduate student, faculty member, etc.).
- Click here to request an SOLC retreat today!